Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bad communication

Yesterday was frustrating. Still no progress on getting Sharepoint working on our new server, and our email was down for hours. A few tips for anyone in a client support role:

  • Tell me if you don't know how to do something--either I'll figure out another option, or we'll figure it out together
  • Don't charge me for your learning curve, unless I agree to it in advance
  • Itemize what you are charging me for
  • Tell me in advance if the work you are doing may disrupt the work I am doing
  • When you think something is fixed, let me know so I can test it
  • Let me know when something is fixed
  • Tell me what the problem is--I'm a big girl, I can take it. Oh, and yes, I will probably understand it too
  • Even if you don't, pretend like you care that things are all messed up (if I think you care, I won't be as mad at you)

Nothing is more frustrating than bad communication. Except maybe no communication. So try to call people when the going gets rough, and remember to be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment