Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Do you need a coach?

I never played sports--those who know me know that I'm not athletically gifted. So I never had a coach, and if you asked me what a coach did I'd have to rely on my movie viewing or sports event watching experience.

I had a consultation today with a career coach. I was nervous that I was uncoachable. I'm not really good with people telling me what to do, and I tend to write people off if I feel like they don't understand what I do. I was pleasantly surprised to find that she not only seemed to understand what I do, but she asked good questions and had some great insight about how I might continue to grow personally as the CEO of my own company. Not only that, but she also had some suggestions that might help me tactically short-term.

I've had really great teachers. I have had, and still have, fantastic mentors. And I think I now see the value in having a coach. Hopefully she won't be yelling at me from the sidelines...

No comments:

Post a Comment