Monday, June 16, 2008

The mixed-up world of Second Life

Working on plans for our product we're developing in Second Life, we were talking to a Second Life developer today. He was asking what our design style was, and my honest answer was I hadn't really thought about it. I've been so focused on the strategy, I haven't had much time or energy to think about the style.

The funny thing is, and this is what the developer said as well, is that usually, all people think about when they are building in Second Life is the style, not the strategy. I think that's why there are so many "ghost towns"...just because you build something cool, doesn't mean people will come. You need to think about what would cause people to want to use your product, who would want to use it, and they tailor your product and messaging for that group.

For our Second Life product to be successful, we need to attract people who AREN'T already in Second Life. We have to show them that what we are offering is valuable, and Second Life is simply the delivery vehicle. Our product needs to transcend Second Life...so our marketing needs to focus on the product not the tool.

I've visited a lot of cool Second Life ghost towns. I'm not looking to build one for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment